Newtonmore to Meet Kingussie in MacTavish Semi’s

National sides Strathglass and Glenurquhart have battled their way into a place in the last four of the MacTavish Cup alongside Premiership giants Newtonmore and Kingussie. The newly demoted Glenurquhart side will be looking to redeem themselves as they match up against fellow National side Strathglass, whilst Premiership holders Newtonmore will compete against Badenoch rivals Kingussie. Both semi-finals will take place on the 18th of May.

Kingussie’s Roddy Young helped secure his team a spot in the semi’s having scored an early brace against current Premiership leaders Lovat in the quarter finals. Lovat’s danger man Marc MacLachlan kept the Kiltrlity side in it with a smart first touch taking him past the Kingussie defenders before he slotted the ball past the keeper. However, MacLachlan’s efforts weren’t enough, and Lee Bain definitively won Kingussie the game by poking home a late rebound in the 90th minute.

Newtonmore cruised past Caberfeidh at the Eilan with forwards Iain Robinson, Evan Menzies and Glen Mackintosh scoring an impressive triple brace. Robinson opened the scoring 20 minutes in to the game, pouncing on the keeper after an Evan Menzies strike to slot in the rebound. Just five minutes later a bouncing shot beat the ‘Cabers keeper at his far post which gave Robinson his second of the match. It was Glen Mackintosh who was next on the score sheet, flicking the ball over his head and striking the ball into bottom corner ten minutes before half time.

‘More went into the break with a comfortable 3-0 lead and continued their dominance in the second half with Evan Menzies bagging two goals in the 48th and 67th minutes. Robbie Brindle sneaked one back in the 64th and a converted Craig Morrison penalty in the 81st left cabers with some consolation, but they suffered another blow when Glen Mackintosh netted his second with a minute ago.

The first of two national bouts took place at Braeview Park where Beauly took the lead through striker Jack MacDonald against Strathglass. However, Strathglass returned the favour with Scott Douglas converting his first of the match just 7 minutes later. Strathglass had the better of the first half and Douglas converted again at the half hour mark after Beauly were penalised for a reckless challenge inside the D. The dominant Strathglass side went on to make it 3 -1 before half time through Ruari Strachan in the 39th minute. Although Beauly came back fighting in the second half, a second Jack MacDonald goal in the 79th minute wasn’t enough, and Strathglass secured their spot in the semi’s.

Skye and Glenurquhart matched up in the second of the national side quarter finals. Jordan Murchison made a strong impression in the opening minute giving the Portree side an early momentum. However, it only took 25 minutes for Neale Reid to level the playing fields. It remained 1-1 at the break but not for a lack of some impressive attacking shinty, with both forwards looking in good form. Glenurquhart caught Skye sleeping early in the second half and Connor Golabeck struck home Glenirquharts winner just 6 minutes into the second half.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s